Do you have any old, shrunk and matted wool sweaters?
Then you can make two excellent diaper covers per sweater. The more matted the sweater - the more waterproof the covers!
To Make: Cut equal-sided triangles from old, shrunk and matted 100% wool sweaters, and zigzag-stitch edges to prevent unraveling (optional).
You can usually get two small "baby bum sweaters" from one adult sweater, or one large "baby bum sweater".
Sizing as follows:
Premie.....cut three sides of triangle by 10 inches (26cm)
Newborn....cut three sides of triangle by 12 inches (31cm)
Medium.....cut three sides of triangle by 16 inches (41cm)
Toddler....cut three sides of triangle by 20 inches (51cm)
Super......cut three sides of triangle by 24 inches (61cm)
Picture one: Cut along cutting lines (red dashes in picture) for one "baby bum sweater". Set aside the wrist-bands for use as leg bands on your "baby bum sweater".
Picture two: This is what your pattern should look like - using the sweater's waist band as the "baby bum sweater" waist band.
Picture three: Fold up the material towards the waist band. Bring waist-band sides together at front.
Picture four: Sew along lines, about halfway along sides to form leg-holes. Be careful not to sew the leg-holes completely shut. You can adjust the leg hole openings, larger or smaller, to fit your baby's legs.
Picture five: Your "bum sweater" should look something like this. Now take the wrist-bands you set aside earlier, and sew around the leg openings.You can thread a crochet tie through the waistband.
To use: Multi-layered or double diapers work best with these covers. Pull-on over diaper and tie in front.
TIP: Check out your local Goodwill, second-hand stores or other thrift stores for second-hand wool sweaters to use - very cheap!
Thanks to Catherine for this Frugal Baby Tip!
Photo credit: devaburger, on Flickr
Some rights reserved
• Pea Patch Diaper Soaker Knitting Pattern - This pattern is for a knitted wool cloth diaper cover much like your grandma or great-grandma may have used!
• Princess of Patterns - Baby Soakers Vintage Knitting Pattern - Baby Soakers Vintage Knitting Pattern
• Unisex Diaper Cover Pattern - This adorable knit diaper cover is perfect for baby to wear anytime, or for pictures.
• PATTERN PDF - Little man diaper cover and bow tie set -- 2 sizes From CrochetMyLove
SUGGESTED READING LIST:
• Get Pregnant Naturally -- Get pregnant quickly and naturally and give birth to healthy children without drugs or surgical procedures
• Prince or Princess? -- Can you really choose your baby's gender? What you need to know before you conceive.
• Instant Natural Colic Relief -- Parents are desperate to stop their baby crying. Simple, gentle and safe moves for instant colic relief.
• Instant Baby Sleep Sound Track -- How to put your baby to sleep in 20 seconds! The miracle mothers have been praying for.
• Frugal Baby Tips can be found on Facebook and Pinterest!
More Frugal Blogs and Websites:
• Born to Love: All your cloth diapering needs, and much more - naturally! We are strong advocates of the personal, social and environmental benefits of natural parenting.
• Frugal Freebies: The latest free stuff, free books, shopping deals, discount coupons, and other ways to save money!
More blogs to visit:
• Life Begins... - Pregnancy stories of loss, hope and help
• Pregnancy Stories by Age - Daily blog of hope and inspiration!
• You Can Get Pregnant in Your 40's - Sharing articles, discussing options and suggestions
• Stories of Pregnancy and Birth over 44 - sharing news stories I find online, for inspiration!
• Jamberry Nails - High-end nail art without the fuss of polish, or expensive salon visits!
• Oshawa Journal - A Step Back in Time to the Village of Oshawa