Frugal Mom: Reusable Tampons

Catherine McDiarmid-Watt | Saturday, September 01, 2012 | 13 comments
Rate this post:

Baby Sock Army
Ready to give up disposable paper tampons, but not ready to give up their convenience and to switch to cloth pads?

For an inexpensive but controversial solution, here's a Frugal Mom Tip for you!

Buy 6 pair (or more) of cotton-rich white or organic baby socks.

Wash (and dry) three times with a natural, mild soap - rinsing well.

At your next period, simply roll up one baby sock into a tight roll, and insert as you would a paper tampon.

If you need more absorbency, use two baby socks rolled up.

Replace it with the next baby sock as needed. Rinse the used one out well, and store dry until washday.

Photo credit: unfurl, on Flickr
Some rights reserved

Note from labyrinth.net.au: Are they safe though? The main contributing factor for TSS seems to be the rayon fibres in regular tampons (basically the bacteria multiplies readily on the rayon fibres and can cause TSS).
All-cotton tampons have not be found to breed bacteria like rayon does. So it would seem that if an all-cotton disposable tampon is safer for you than a rayon one, then an all-cotton reusable tampon might be safer for you than a rayon disposable one.
Regular disposable tampons are not sterile (just because they are white, wrapped in plastic and look sterile doesn't mean they are). Other things that go into vaginas also aren't sterile (penises, vibrators, fingers etc.)
You could boil or soak the tampons in a sterilizing solution if you wanted to.

Patterns and instructions for knit/crochet tampons:
Different type of crocheted tampon
Ladies Eco-Flow Busters
Mama cloth...reusable tampons

Diva Cup Diva Cup #2 Post ChildbirthIf this is all too much for you, consider the Diva Cup, Moon Cup, The Keeper or Natural Sea Silk Sponges - great alternatives to disposable tampons.

These menstrual cups collect the flow rather than absorbing it, so your vaginal tissues aren't dried out as they can be by disposable tampons.

These menstrual cups can last up to ten years.

Ecoland Organic Cotton Baby Newborn Quarter Socks 0-6 months - 6 Pairs Value - Natural/White - Made with the highest quality organic cotton!Shopping Suggestions:
Ecoland Organic Cotton Newborn Socks
100% Organic Cotton White Turn Cuff Sock
Carhartt Baby-boys Newborn 3-Pair Pack Crew Socks
Diva Cup Diva Cup #1 Pre Childbirth
Diva Cup Diva Cup #2 Post Childbirth
GladRags The Moon Cup
The Keeper A (After Childbirth), From GladRags
The Keeper B (Before Childbirth), From GladRags
Natural Sea Silk Sponges

Frugal Baby Tips can be found on Facebook and Pinterest!

More Frugal Blogs and Websites:
Born to Love: All your cloth diapering needs, and much more - naturally! We are strong advocates of the personal, social and environmental benefits of natural parenting.
Frugal Freebies: Keep up with the latest free stuff, deals, coupons, and other ways to save money!

More Pregnancy blogs to visit:
Life Begins... - Pregnancy stories of loss, hope and help
Pregnancy Stories by Age - Daily blog of hope and inspiration!
You Can Get Pregnant in Your 40's - Sharing articles, discussing options and suggestions
Stories of Pregnancy and Birth over 44 - sharing news stories I find online, for inspiration!

Category: ,

Catherine

About Catherine: I have been writing my Frugal Baby Tips since 1982, when I was a young divorced mom of two - for my baby product company, Born to Love. I am now mom to three grown up sons, and a grandma - and happily married to a wonderful man. We have rescued two little dogs, Denny and Dexter - and a rescue cat, Bella.

Taking care of baby and mom needs naturally, does not have to cost a whole lot of money! Money-saving tips on diapering, diaper washing, safety, sling and baby carriers, toys, clothing, nursing, menstrual needs, traveling with kids, and more!

If you have Frugal Baby Tips to share, we want to hear them! It might even get published!

Find Catherine on Google+ - Join us on Facebook - Follow us on Pinterest

13 comments

1. Anonymous says:

Really? Really? Maybe clipping coupons would make a little more sense.

2. Anonymous says:

I feel like this would hurt, putting a dry sock in your vagina

3. Kerri says:

Personally, some things in life are a necessity but should NOT be reused.

4. I use the Soft Cup. It is similar to the diva cup. I could not imagine using this technique though. How do they not leak? What if one were to fall out? I couldn't do it but each to their own I guess =]

5. desirae young says:

ohh wow I think I just puked!

6. Try buying a "Keeper" instead. My 27 year old daughter has been using one for 12 years, I used my "Keeper" for 10 and then survived menopause. Ours were from the Biologic company ( I think)

7. I'm sorry but, unless the AMA says this is okay, or a LICENSED OB/GYN says it, this woman is off her rocker! Regular tampons cause toxic shock syndrome - imagine what THIS would do! Yeeeikes!

8. Emma says:

Let's see..

I'm a prepper. So I like to keep stocks of canned goods etc, just in case. One of my other stashes, is a bunch of female sanitary products. If I were ever in a situation where I ran out, and it was a SURVIVALIST situation, I'd do this. All the naysayers and the like, who are calling this lady nuts, put yourself in that position, if you can. If you were bleeding and only had access to something like this, you'd use them. You might not like the idea, nor would you like the idea of admitting it, but you'd use them.

9. One, I think this would HURT worse than pulling a dry tampon out. Two, granted the vagina has an end & these couldn't get lost forever, but how do you pull it out? If it wasn't fully inserted it would be very uncomfortable.
    Third, I may use a cup but this is just taking things a little too far IMHO.

10. OMG! DIVORCE THE CHEAP DOG! HON, PLEASE STOP POSTING DRUNKEN RANTS IF YOU CAN NOT AFFORD A TAMPOND PLEASE LET SOME OF US SISTAS KNOW AND WE CAN HELP YOU OUT DONT GO STICKIN SOCKS IN YOUR VAJAYJAY!

11. HiLLjO says:

It is AMAZING the self-shame people project onto others who have no issues with their own body/its waste products.

If it works for you, cool. I don't like things inside so I use pads.

12. I am disabled with no car, and often i'll be days without a way to get to the store. I don't know that I'd do this but I have had to cut a towel into lengths to use as pads...wash them out etc. you do what you have to do esp if you are alone and have no one to help you or no way to get to a store. how do you think our ancestresses did it.

13. tiff says:

i would ask a dr first. i don't think you are crazy, i do think you are thinking outside the box. iwouldn't do this, but to each their own.

Catherine encourages positive comments and suggestions that are helpful to other blog readers. Help keep this a fun place to visit and help all of us save money and get more frugal baby tips!

NOTE: Comments are moderated - just to stop the spambots - and so may take up to a few hours to be approved.

Catherine reserves the right to review, edit, refuse or delete any comment.