Today's natural and responsible choice for feminine protection is washable, reusable cloth menstrual pads. An environmentally-safe, economical alternative!
Are you ready to give up those expensive disposable paper pads, and switch to cloth pads - but worried about the cost of purchasing enough cloth pads?
(See article links below to why you should consider switching to cloth.)
Here's a Frugal Baby Tip for Mom!
Cut out three layers of an absorbent 100% cotton fabric (i.e. flannelette, terrycloth, cotton fleece, hemp, sherpa, etc.) into an 8.5" by 10" (21.5cm x 25cm) rectangle.
Round corners. Pile together.
Stitch all around, using either a zigzag stitch or a serge stitch.
Cut out two wings 6" by 6" (15cm x 15cm), shaped sort of like like this: =O= - see picture on the right:
Fold each wing in half, and zigzag or serge stitch all raw edges.
Center wings on the pad, about 2.25" (5.5cm) from either long edge, with straight edge of wings facing straight edge of the pad.
Looks something like this [_[)(]_], though the wings will be overlapping - see picture on the left.
Sew a straight seam, catching in the wings, 2.5" (6.5cm) from both long edges.
Either sew Velcro® on wings or use hammer-on snaps.
Fold the pad in thirds, and fasten the wings underneath the fold.
Now you have a super-absorbent 9-layer menstrual pad that opens up for easy washing and quick drying!
Pad laying flat, with wings folded back over outer flaps of pad
Fold under one flap, the part under the wing
Fold under other flap. The center panel is the part that will be next to your skin
Back of folded pad, the part that goes next to your panties
Back of folded pad, snapped together
Thanks to Catherine for this Frugal Baby Tip!
Photo credit: Catherine McDiarmid-Watt, on borntolove.com
All rights reserved
Make Your Own Cloth Menstrual Pads Pattern
• Menstrual Products and Health
• Feminine Ecology Notes
• Women Taking the Initiative for a Safer Environment
• Fast Facts from "Whitewash"
• Backgrounder: What Are Organochlorines? And Why Are They So Dangerous?
• What Women Can Do to "Stop the Whitewash"
• More On-line Articles
• Velcro® Brand Soft, Flexible Sew-On Tape
• Dritz Snap Fastener Attacher Kit - Easy Attacher
• GladRags Color Day Pad
• Organic Reusable Cloth Menstrual Pads
Frugal Baby Tips can be found on Facebook and Pinterest!
More Frugal Blogs and Websites:
• Born to Love: All your cloth diapering needs, and much more - naturally! We are strong advocates of the personal, social and environmental benefits of natural parenting.
• Frugal Freebies: The latest free stuff, free books, shopping deals, discount coupons, and other ways to save money!
More blogs to visit:
• Life Begins... - Pregnancy stories of loss, hope and help
• Pregnancy Stories by Age - Daily blog of hope and inspiration!
• You Can Get Pregnant in Your 40's - Sharing articles, discussing options and suggestions
• Stories of Pregnancy and Birth over 44 - sharing news stories I find online, for inspiration!