Well, after Sarah leaked out of a DISPOSABLE!! Friday night, I knew I could no longer put off making her a pull-on fleece cover (I was going to wait till my mom arrives Tuesday).
So I bought some sewing elastic and snap tape (metal snaps), and yesterday afternoon started sewing. It went quickly, and last night Sarah wore it. I did make it a bit large, and had to pin it closed, as it was too loose with just the snaps, but it still worked!
Yes, she had a HUGE diaper bum, but this morning, despite a thoroughly sopping diaper, the cover was DRY!! Which means so were our sheets!
I made the cover out of a single layer of 300wt polartec fleece. I just traced around one of her old covers, and enlarged it accordingly. Then I put elastic at the waist and legs, snap tape at the sides, and that was it.
The cover will likely fit her till she is at least 70 lbs, and hopefully by then she will be dry at night anyway. For a diaper, I used a flannel receiving blanket, folded in half, with two terry hand towels folded in fourths inside it. Pinned it on.
Poor kid slept with SIX diaper pins last night! But the whole thing worked! We've had to wash our sheets four times in the past week, and we were really getting tired of that.
Thanks to Amy for this Frugal Baby Tip!
Photo Credit: Sam's big girl bed at my mom's house has Elmo bedding!
by Abigail Batchelder (abbybatchelde) on Photobucket
Some rights reserved
Frugal Baby Tips can be found on Facebook and Pinterest!
More Frugal Blogs and Websites:
• Born to Love: All your cloth diapering needs, and much more - naturally! We are strong advocates of the personal, social and environmental benefits of natural parenting.
• Frugal Freebies: The latest free stuff, free books, shopping deals, discount coupons, and other ways to save money!
Category: Diaper Sewing