Thanks to Shannon for this Frugal Baby Tip!
Echinacea is an "immune enhancer" - it is what you give to help avoid colds and flu. It isn't effective if given all the time. The 2 weeks on 2 off is a good rhythm.
Goldenseal is like garlic - it is antibacterial and is recommended once you are sick. I would only use the glycerin tinctures for kids - the alcohol is a little strong.
Other herbs we use:
- arnica for bumps, bruises, sprains
- belladonna for inflammation of any sort
- natrum phosphoricum and raspberry leaf tea for morning sickness
- weleda burn gel for any burn or for spider/bug bites
- lemon compresses to bring fever down
- mustard chest compresses for bad coughs and congestion (this is a little strong for a baby though)
- plantain rub instead of vicks chest rub
- fresh comfrey leaf poultice for cuts
There are many more - we never give antibiotics, Tylenol, or any drug.