Thanks to Ness for this Frugal Baby Tip!
I finally got around to making a fleece cover (I bought the fleece at Walmart in February) last Thursday, and I cut just like the Air rika I like so much and sewed swimsuit elastic at the legs, front and back (like the Air rika). I was planning on putting on snaps the same way, also, but the package I bought only had 4 snaps in it, so that's all I had (I forgot to count them in the store).
So far I only have used it once -- she pooped on it and now it's drying. But it wasn't wet on the outside. Right after my daughter was born, I bought used fleece covers online and they worked best after I boiled them on the stove (simmered, really, for 40 minutes) with a sliver of ivory soap from my shower. When I washed those covers in Dreft with the rest of my daughter's clothes, they got leaky.
With this one I think I'll try washing with baby shampoo -- or maybe I'll run to Trader Joes and try that laundry soap mentioned.
Category: Diaper Sewing